First up, big picture. While 2020 is the hook here, this piece really touches on some big bets for content over the next decade.
2. Ask a content strategist: When should I use gated content?
To gate or not to gate? So many companies get this wrong. Gating isn’t about length or format. It’s about what’s right, at the right time, for your audience.
3. Right on time: Nail your content plan with audiences, channels and purpose | Collective Content
OK, one of our own (guilty as charged). Planning and calendaring are central to any successful content programme. And it’s always a programme, not a campaign.
4. 8 voice search statistics in 2019 and why they matter [Infographic]
We really thought 2019 was the year of voice, coupled with audio content (not just podcasts). This is the first of two pieces laying out where we are.
5. Why are there still so few voice case studies out there?
Article 2/2 here asks the related question – and it might seem like an obvious answer, given change is usually slower than we expect.
6. Looking for a job in content marketing? Ask your prospective employer these questions
Not the usual kind of link we share. But we’ve always been in favour of in-house content creators (even though we’re an agency), and this piece is about being hired by such a team.
7. 3 ways to work with people who think they know digital better than you
This is always such an insightful site. And this is a subject nearly every content creator has experienced. So we like that there are answers here, as well as the problems.
8. Can’t get that click? 5 simple strategies for CTAs that convert [Examples]
In the first of several links about tactical tips, we turn to the humble CTA – the ‘call to action’ that every item of content must have. Every.
9. Five annoying contact page mistakes
Similarly, from the SEO experts over at Yoast, how can you screw up a ‘contact us’ page? More ways than you can imagine.
10. How to choose the best stock images
And returning to a pet subject we’ve love-hated over the years, here’s more advice about ethically choosing free (or cheap) imagery to go with your written content.
11. 5 useful skills marketers should learn from media companies
Lastly, you know we always talk about ‘media-grade content’. That might be because so many of us here came from a media background. But this piece focuses on some lessons from that industry. Good results take time.
Why 11 links? It’s our lucky number.
Follow us on Twitter – @ColContent